Sunday, November 19, 2006

21 Year old Brazilian Model dies of Anorexia

read story on CNN here:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/11/16/model.anorexia.reut/index.html

This is terribly sad. Especially because I know some young women just as underweight who refuse to believe they are at risk of death or health complications. The denial in anorexia is deep and not easily penetrated. My heart breaks for the mother of this beautiful girl; while I also applaud Brazil for taking a stance on too low of weight/bmi in models.

Please share your thoughts.

Warmly,

Jacquelyn Ekern, MS
Founder @ Eating Disorder Hope

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am at a loss of words for the family as well for this aspiring young model. I am sad for the girl's entire family. How sad and tragic. However, I am glad that people are starting to realize the devastating effects of this disease. It seems here lately that Hollywood has just been focusing on certain actresses body figures and not the SEVERE medical defects eating disorders can cause and/or create. I hope that the media will start to focus more in how deadly eating disorders can become.
Beth