Monday, May 16, 2005

Thanks for contributing to all who have posted!! :)

Hi, it's me, Jacquelyn. I am so glad that you all have posted to the new blog! I was excited to read the various posts this morning. I loved the comments! Hearing that it is possible to completely recover from an eating disorder is inspiring...and having 10 years of life free from bulimia is wonderful. Way to go to our anonymous poster! I also loved the comment about recovery starting when one begins to have a less superficial relationship with oneself! AMEN! :) Isn't that so true! Much of my own recovery has been attributed to relinquishing idealized "perfect" visions of what I "should" be, and instead accepting myself as the flawed person I am, but recognizing that I am a beautiful and unique creation of God, and do not need to be anything but what I am....I sure don't always stay in that mindset, but I go back to it, time and time again, to regroup, and continue on with my life free of an eating disorder.
I also think integrity is a BIG part of recovery. Choosing to live at one's highest level of integrity physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc...It is a bitter sweet maturing process of learning to deal with life straight up, rather than hiding behind an eating disorder....
Another very good comment, I thought, was that we need to be patient and go easy on ourselves...this has been a big part of recovery for me, too.....Trying to maintain a kind inner dialogue with myself, supportive and accepting, has gone along way toward furthering my recovery from eds.
Take good care of yourselves.....and please keep posting! We need to hear from you!
Jacquelyn
Founder of Eating Disorder Hope

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Lady Jamie!
As you know, I am not a therapist. I am a psych grad school student, so please take my thoughts with a grain of salt and follow your therapist's advice over mine.....but, I would like to share with you my thoughts on the whole eating disordered obsessive thoughts and self acceptance....Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz, self acceptance is a daily task for a perfectionist like me....but, I have observed that I have a limited time on this earth and wasting it obsessing about what is wrong with my body, or how I look, is futile....life continues on by, and I am missing out on more meaningful pursuits when obsessing about unproductive things.....I sincerely want to contribute to the well being of others and the world, and the more I use my intelligence and sensitivity toward this endeavor - the more payoff I get...as in I get to feel that I have contributed meaningfully to life and others -- thus I find more meaning in my life, and whatever suffering my life entails....well, it becomes more endurable, because life has meaning....
A fabulous book called "Man's Search for Meaning", by Viktor Frankl does a far better job of explaining this concept of existentialism...
Being the SHARP COOKIE that you are, Lady Jamie, I think you would love this book...and I would so enjoy hearing your thoughts about it....
So, whadddddda you think?
Anybody else have thoughts on our discussion too? Or other books that have "rocked your world" and added insight to your recovery?

Warmly,
Jacquelyn

Anonymous said...

Hey there. It is Sarah, again. I think that the anorexia is a way for me to avoid dealing with all the disappointments in my life. It seems like a whole lot of pain and very little happiness over the span of my life. It seems like it should be more enjoyable to be a human being, finding meaning in life is great and all, but I would also like for life to just be plain easier.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

weight and image and food seem to become the central focus of the lives of those struggling with eating disorders. Why would individuals with such a rich array of other attributes, talents and gifts waste so much of their lives on something that is so destructive to themselves and contributes nothing to society? I ask this of myself, as well, since it took me a long, long time to get past my eating disorder...now I look back on all those wasted years, and realize I could have done so much more with my life back then....I feel sad about the wasted time....however, it makes me all the more determined now to live each day as fully as I can and to try to help others overcome their eating disorders and embrace life, even with all the disappointments, and with all it's crazy twists and turns, it is a gift....focusing on what I am grateful for helps me to keep my attitude in check and recognize the good in life....
Jacquelyn